1.11.2013

Catch up -- This seems to be becoming a theme!!

Confessions of a Housewifehusband.  Well my wife graduated leaving me the lone college student in our marriage.  Luckily she was able to get a full time job this year (which I'll probably cover in a future post) and though I have two jobs, school, and a podcast I'm running, I am home more than her...a lot more.  And because I have a guilty pleasure of reading blogs (mostly run by my sister and friends wives) I figured maybe there are a few people out there who would read our blog if we actually updated it, so I've undertaken the project for now!

Since Joni graduated, needless to say a lot has happened, it will probably take me a few posts to catch everyone up with everything and since I hate blogs that don't have pictures and we don't take pictures with camera's but usually use our phones, most of the catching up will be brought to you visually via Instagram...sorry to those of you who already follow us there!

Post graduation...I couldn't really tell you what happened during June because, well neither of us used Instagram then, so let's forget that month ever happened and shoot forward to July!  Our highlights of the month started when Joni's dad (Lyle) entered his car in the Cache Valley Cruise In.  A little back story, Lyle has had this car since long before I met Joni.  My understanding is that when he first got it there wasn't much to it and his goal was to completely restore it, which he did wonderfully over a few years.  It's been his dream to have a car in the Cruise In for a long time and with a lot of encouragement from his kids, he decided it was finally time to do so this year, so the Nova made it's first appearance and it was a blast!
We had a great time riding in the car up and down Main Street and it was a lot of fun to be able to spend time with Joni's family for the event.  I think everyone got a chance to ride around and Lyle and Cortney loved driving it for the thousands of people lining the streets!




Then came the 4th of July and we were lucky enough to be able to go visit my sweet grandma in the thriving metropolis of Milford, Utah...a town where people are outnumbered by pigs and the railroad rules the economy!  Grandma moved there almost 10 years ago and it's where his sisters lives, she loves it and has a beautiful house with gorgeous views of the valley and mountain.  Unfortunately because of a drought there were no fireworks in Milford, but that didn't stop us from having and great time and Grandma made sure to get our shirt sizes ahead of time so that we would fit right in with the locals during the parade.



In August we were able to go back to Illinois to visit my parents.  The aforementioned drought wasn't limited to just Milford and the St Louis area was having one of its worst droughts in decades.  If my memory is correct, a record was set for most consecutive days in triple digit weather (HUMID triple digit weather no less) and I believe they went around 40-50 days without a single drop of rain.  Luckily my parents have a pool in the backyard which helps take the edge off, but not so much on days we choose to do other things.  Most of you know I've been a St Louis Cardinals fan my entire life.  My parents got great tickets to a game in the 7th row behind the Cardinals dugout for a game against the Milwaukee Brewers who the Cardinals beat in the 1982 World Series and it was the 30 year reunion of the team!  It was great to see some of my favorite childhood Cardinals including Ozzie Smith and the rest of the '82 crew but it was HOT. 
The game was a lot of fun and the Cardinals won which is always a plus.  Another out door activity we chose to undertake was a trip the the Zoo.  I love the St Louis Zoo, it's been rated the number 1 free zoo in the country and they do a really good job.  It's also a favorite destination for our nephew Colin.  We always have to make a trip there with my sisters kids when we're in town and this trip was no exception.  So we went.  Colin did a pretty good job dealing with this heat.  His mom and baby sister did not.  My sister is a notorious complainer (love you) and the baby didn't like walking around in the stroller so I volunteered to carry her around.  Not my best choice but it kept her happy, keep in mind she was only 11 months old but in the 95th percentile for her age in height and 99th percentile for weight so lugging her around for two and a half hours was quite the workout in 95 degree heat.  But I digress.  It was a fun zoo visit and the penguin house, even though it smells terrible, was a nice cool getaway from the heat from time to time.
Despite the heat it was a great trip home and we had a good time with my family!!  We will have more catching up to do but I think I'll spare you for now!!






1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous summer! I love it all and thank you so much for the pictures. I too hate blogs that don't have pictures, so boring.

    ReplyDelete