12.04.2013

The Birth Story by Mom


[Disclaimer: I will admit I have a REALLY bad memory so the times and info might not be completely accurate. Josh’s story will be a lot more accurate.]

Monday, November 25th finally arrived…the day I would officially be admitted to the hospital and be holding a sweet baby in my arms within the next 24 hours. Of course, this day was long as I experienced every emotion from excitement to fear (dang pregnancy hormones). To calm my worries, Josh gave me the most remarkable priesthood blessing I have ever received. As soon as we said, “Amen,” I instantly had this feeling that I could do this. I was ready to give birth and become a mother. Everything was going to be ok and I would be surrounded by knowledgeable nurses and doctors to guide the way. I’m always and forever grateful for Josh, a worthy priesthood holder, and his ability to comfort me in all situations.
 
bags packed, out the door we go
We got all checked in and sent to the delivery room with the nurse. Her name was Toni and I loved her to death. She was an older lady with white hair and an easy going personality + she has roots in Utah so we had plenty to talk about. For the next few hours she asked me a million questions and got me prepped.

...waiting...

last pic with the "prego belly"
Around 11 PM she inserted Cervadil in me which is supposed to soften the cervix and get contractions started.  A couple of hours later I woke up in a little bit of pain which was due to the contractions starting so she gave me some medication that would take the edge off the pain. I instantly dosed off to sleep. At 5 AM I woke up in a lot more pain from the contractions getting longer and more frequent. The nurse informed me that it was time to get the epidural. Josh sat beside me as the doctor prepped and inserted the needle in my back. Getting the epidural wasn’t all that great. He kept hitting nerves and it was very painful, plus Josh almost fainted watching me go through the pain BUT once he was finished I felt instant relief and could no longer feel my contractions (or my legs). Thank the world for epidurals!!! I think I slept a few more hours and then when 10 o’clock rolled around I was fully dilated and ready to start pushing. My doctor was delivering 4 other babies at the same time so the nurse would only let me push 3 times and then have me rest for a few minutes. I think I pushed a total of 6 times and then…there he was!

Cooper Keith McDonald
11.26.13
10:58 AM
7 lbs 8 oz
20 in
holding him for the first time
my heart is melting
our new little family
What an amazing feeling it was to have this beautiful baby boy in my arms for the first time. I remember feeling complete joy and happiness in knowing that this sweet guy just came from heaven where he was surrounded by many wonderful guardian angels. Then, I handed him over to Josh to hold for the first time and my heart instantly felt full of love in knowing that he was going to be the greatest father to our son. I wish this brief moment in time could be bottled up and I could relive it over and over again. I love my new family and couldn’t be more in love with our little Cooper. 

our handsome little guy

2 comments:

  1. yay!! so glad you posted on here! I love your Christmas book idea! That sounds like a great book, too. I'll have to get it for the kiddos!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. first off- how did I NOT KNOW you had a blog!! I'm so glad I found it. Both you and Josh's birth stories are so sweet and Cooper is such a doll!!! Oh my goodness-I seriously have never seen such a handsome baby boy (besides aiden of course) I'm so happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete